What's new

Housing Discussion

Chucklez

Neophyte
Saw a guy post in discord - the idea of an innkeeper for houses, so that players could access their inn rooms - I love this idea personally, we have stablemasters, and dockmasters - the inn keep is really the next step - players could access their inn rooms from a guild home, allowing them to frequent their guild houses more regularly for restocking, and generally getting to see/play with their guild.. It's certainly not a necessity - as players in a guild should be meeting in communal areas already - but I do think it's a great idea, without any drawbacks - players already have very little risk accessing at a town inn.

Also @Chucklez I don't think there is any risk over crashing the housing market with our current population by offering a slightly bigger inn room with 1 more secure in it - at this point it can really only help alleviate some of the stress on newer players who can't afford the housing in an over priced market.
I totally agree, if the market was a living market for houses I could see be a problem but when you have guilds that corner the housing market and driving the crazy high prices, then having this would help newer players. I love the idea of an innkeeper, my guild currently has a tower that we let confirmed members "rent out" meaning they can agree to use x box on that floor and not touch other player's boxes. This of course comes with an agreement that if you put something worth a large sum of gold and another "tenant" steals it the guild isn't on the hook for it. So in essence keep your expensive stuff in your bank still. Still they can deco their floor at their own will until they can get their own place. Also keeps near our guild hall.

Elric

Journeyman
Maybe an expanded inn system will help "some" people, but these are the people that are truly looking for storage space and a place to have their characters funnel their loot.

Most people, however, want a home out in the world because they want to lock down the cool stuff and ensure that other players know that they have it. They have the house and a bunch of goodies they found or bought. If these things are locked away from view in an inn room off the map, then nobody knows they have this stuff. They play for hours to gather this virtual crap and they can't visually brag about it. It takes all of those hours grinding away in their parents' basement seem like for nothing where they might as well went out and looked for a job because nobody can see what they did that day. The virtual game world of imaginary things must be displayed loud and proud.

Laughing Skull

Journeyman
Maybe an expanded inn system will help "some" people, but these are the people that are truly looking for storage space and a place to have their characters funnel their loot.

Most people, however, want a home out in the world because they want to lock down the cool stuff and ensure that other players know that they have it. They have the house and a bunch of goodies they found or bought. If these things are locked away from view in an inn room off the map, then nobody knows they have this stuff. They play for hours to gather this virtual crap and they can't visually brag about it. It takes all of those hours grinding away in their parents' basement seem like for nothing where they might as well went out and looked for a job because nobody can see what they did that day. The virtual game world of imaginary things must be displayed loud and proud.
Well hell... now I feel a little silly with my house decorations. Thanks Elric!

Other than that, can't say your wrong. Put multi-rise apartments smack dab in the middle of the busy towns! Let's get an urban vibe going!

Chucklez

Neophyte

The whole point isn't that people don't want house in the open world, it's they don't have one or a place to do basic functions until they get one. It's not to substitute having a house, its a temporary filler until they can get a home in the open world. I personally hate instance housing but having something is better than nothing until I can get what I do want.

Elric

Journeyman
The whole point isn't that...
Using terms like "always" or "never" are absolutes like "the whole point". That isn't the "whole point". Some people have a point of view that they want storage. Others have a point of view that they want to share a space for their characters. Others have a point of view where they want to show off their castle and all of their goodies with everybody that walks by their house. Then there are others beyond that with a different point of view.

AreYouKidden

Legendary

And yet 90% of those people looking to show off all their crap, have private homes, not open to the public, so no one can see it.. I agree - there's a large portion of the population who want to be out in the world - but I think you'd be surprised to find out how much of that population wants to be out in the world, just so they have ease of storage, and ways to transfer goods between characters, and don't give a lick about decorating, or showing off their stuff. I personally live out of a public house, because I decorate, and want people to see the time and energy put into it.

I don't mind instanced housing - though I feel that it takes away a big piece of what makes UO great, and that's the players around you, both good and bad.. I still would love to see communal instanced housing - you go into your inn room, into a common area, that has 10 rooms around it - people you can run into at all times..

I'm curious what your solution is to the housing "issues" Elric - are you pro land expansion? pro taxes/upkeep? What is your stance on fixing things?

Elric

Journeyman
I already stated it pages ago. Allow for houses to be destroyed by a mass of players and then create the much wanted PVP conflict that player here crave as you have to beg other players to help defend your little wagon. You know, to give that feeling of dread lurking around every corner. If this server wants to be T2A based and feel like the old days, then it is time to bring back the house keys. Let them be stealable again. Bring back some of that retro-ness that apparently went away with Trammel and thus ruined UO. Thieves here are bored? Make those house doors pickable! Many players love the housing situation though. Only people without houses complain.

Last edited: