What's new

Housing Discussion

Elric

Expert
I believe the thought was it'd create PvP events out of it (an announcement), since all would know where the house spots were.. I suggested basically just removing IDOC status from house signs long ago, because then it wasn't control-able, but then you do lose out on the PvP side of it mostly (if that's actually worth anything)
There are plenty of other PVP things to do that do not consume land space. Let them get their announcements on those. There is a term thrown around in Outlands of things either working (or not working) "organically". Meaning there was a certain charm and feeling of exploration when you stumble upon something. At this rate there will be discord announcements when a deer spawns outside of town. Players used to make the events themselves and didn't piss in Garriott's ear to entertain them. That is another old-time UO thing players today don't want when they say they want old-time UO.

Last edited:

damnation

Neophyte
I believe the thought was it'd create PvP events out of it (an announcement), since all would know where the house spots were.. I suggested basically just removing IDOC status from house signs long ago, because then it wasn't control-able, but then you do lose out on the PvP side of it mostly (if that's actually worth anything)
As i said in my thread, the only people doing the PvP at IDOCS are larger groups of people who are just increasing their property portfolio at IDOC events and subsequently creating a false economy for houses.
The new players who need the land for their very first house have practically no chance in these "events".
With my suggested change, people have a more even chance of finding a post-IDOC house and potentially a new house spot.

IMO it really is the lesser of two evils.

AreYouKidden

Legendary
As i said in my thread, the only people doing the PvP at IDOCS are larger groups of people who are just increasing their property portfolio at IDOC events and subsequently creating a false economy for houses.
The new players who need the land for their very first house have practically no chance in these "events".
With my suggested change, people have a more even chance of finding a post-IDOC house and potentially a new house spot.

IMO it really is the lesser of two evils.
I agree with the suggestion, I don't think your statements are 100% accurate though.. The economy for houses isn't false - it's based on supply/demand, we have 2000+ active users online at a time, probably 10,000+ active players, 4,300 houses overland, and 800 inn rooms... so clearly there are players looking for homes, some harder than others, that's what creates your demand.

A player who wants to find a new house spot now, can.. If they are randomly available, you don't think the thousands of active players aren't going to stumble across it before the new player does? likely they will have less of a chance - but regardless - neither has a chance if they don't bother trying, which is more often the case. Lots of new players find their way into housing on the server with some time/effort.. it just doesn't happen over night..

Anyways - not trying to be a contrarian for the sake of it - because I do agree with the suggestion... I personally don't need manufactured PvP out of idocs, and find it entirely unthrilling, nor entertaining at these announced idocs. Idocs also were never my scene though - so take my opinions with a grain of salt o_O

Field-Medic

Neophyte
Idea:
-add to the inn system by allowing players to buy a house deed and giving it to the inn keeper
-eliminate the weekly fee (unless renting)
-possibly add recalling/gating option (for courtyard style homes)
-let players keep their 3 houses while trying to sell a 3 million GP 8x8s,

Thoughts / Reasoning / other BS
-many players are of an older generation. We played 10-20 years ago and have LUCKILY stumbled across this awesome shard. UNFORTUNATELY we have careers, a spouse, and kid(s). We cannot dedicate the time to grind out 20-30 times the deed price for a placed house. Also, not all of us are skilled enough to grind out 100k+ a day or whatever amount you wanna say
-Ultima Online housing, is one of the biggest and most popular features. Many situations revolve around it: Collecting rare loot, buying house deco from prev vendor, chilling while shuffling through your loot.. BUT decorating a caravan sucks! I can barely move around as is, and I don't want to lose any more wiggle room. ((( my opinion, housing is the #1 feature )))
-Releasing new land will not fix this problem! The land would be full in about 5 minutes. and then after 5 minutes people would be trying to cram in more caravans
-Let new players call this shard a home, instead of forcing them to migrate somewhere else.
-House prices will drop. People who want their dream home can finally acquire it through the Inn buy system (if implemented). And players / harvesters who need to be near rocks, water, and trees will finally be able to buy something reasonable or hopefully, place their own 8x8 house deed for 50k!!! :)
-Not asking to be given a castle, but a ray of hope to this nightmare housing problem.

thank-you,

p.s. the new IDOC announcement is super harsh. As said above, unless if you're in a good size or skilled guild, you're not getting anything. ((maybe i was unlucky on all my attempts)) but i have tried a couple times, and pks dominated the area every time. They tracked and killed my thief multiple times while i was stealthed. In the end, just a waste of time if you're not rolling deep on these announcements.